Non-NHS Services

Forms, Certificates and "fitness to" letters

Sometimes an employer or another agency may suggest you ‘get a letter from your doctor’ for another purpose, but this is not always possible and will usually require payment as the NHS does not pay GPs to do this work.


Items we can provide for a charge:

Acting/Performing/Modelling certificate for Children

We can provide this if your child is in good health and on no medication.


Fitness to Fly during Pregnancy

This is usually required by an airline if you are flying after 28 weeks and can be supplied if you have a healthy and uncomplicated pregnancy.


Flying with Insulin and other medications

All injectable medication in hand luggage requires a certificate. This also applies to certain other drugs, even tables. If in doubt, check with the embassy of the country you are visiting.


HGV & Taxi driver medical examinations

These require a long appointment and there is a charge, please make sure you tell the receptionist which medical you need so she can book the correct appointment for you.

We may be able to complete other medicals such as for flying/sailing, but NOT for diving or dangerous sports.


Medical Records

You have the right to view and have copies of your medical records. Please let the staff know if you wish to avail yourself of this facility, for which a charge may apply.


Private Sick Notes

If your employer requires a sick note for less than 7 days’ absence, we can supply one if the employer requests this in writing, with written permission from the patient, and pays a fee.


Statement of fact

Occasionally a patient is required to provide evidence of living in a certain place and being registered as a patient at the surgery. This can be provided for a fee.


Items we do not provide:

Applications for Passports, Visas, Character references

Derby Road Practice does not offer these reports/signatures. The organisation supplying these forms will be able to suggest alternative signatories.


Fitness for Diving

Diving medicals are a highly specialised area of medicine, and your diving instructor can advise you how to find a suitably qualified doctor to assess your fitness to dive. We can supply a print-out of your medical records for their consideration.


Fitness for Exercise or Gym

We encourage all our patients to exercise as it is generally very good for you and is an excellent treatment for many common conditions.

The risk that harm would come to you by exercising is low, however we cannot say that it is 100% safe for anyone to exercise. As such the risk is entirely between you and your gym instructor, following the guidelines at your particular gym.


Fitness for Parachute Jumps, etc

Derby Road Practice cannot advise on fitness to partake in dangerous activities such as parachute jumps, mountain climbing etc, as this is outside our field of expertise and not part of the NHS service. Please ask your instructor about any concerns you have regarding safety for these activities. We can supply a print-out of your medical records for their consideration.


Letters about Housing

Suffolk County  Council does not require GP letters when you seek housing or rehousing, even on medical grounds. Therefore Derby Road Practice does not provide letters regarding housing/rehousing. You are entitled to a print-out of your medical record if you believe this will assist your application.


Letters about missing a Court appearance

Unless requested in writing by the court. Any other letters carry no weight in the courts. Your solicitor can advise you further.


Letters about missed Exams

There is no obligation on GPs to provide sick notes for schools or for missed exams. Usually the school can request special consideration.  Further information is available here on


Recording Injuries for Police or Insurance purposes

In the case of an alleged assault, a police surgeon (forensic medical practitioner) must assess and document injuries. This is not an NHS service and we are not trained to do this work to the standard required for the courts.


Likewise, attending the surgery for documentation (not treatment) of injuries from a car accident is not an NHS service, and is not appropriate. Your insurance company can advise you further.


Will-Writing Capacity (testamentary capacity) & Power of Attorney

Testamentary capacity is a highly specialised area of medico-legal practice with important implications for the patient and their family. Therefore we recommend that the solicitor seek an expert opinion, for example from a consultant psychogeriatrician.



The fees charged are based on the British Medical Association (BMA) suggested scales and our reception staff will be happy to advise you about them along with appointment availability.